I didn’t write this plugin (that would be Rich Manalang in case you missed it above) and take no credit for creating it. I just modified it very, very slightly so that it will work with WordPress 2.1 and 2.2. I only grudgingly changed the author information and URI in the plugin so that people wouldn’t go and bother the already swamped Mr. Managlang with questions related to stupid mistakes I made in this version. Same reason for the different version number (ttb1.0, ttancm branch 1.0, clever huh =P Doesn’t really need a version number as such, since I really doubt I will ever update it beyond the current state. If you would like to make donations or anything of the sort, please direct them to Rich Manalang.
I know very little PHP (I tinker, not create) and I haven’t tested this beyond what I myself need it for, don’t plan to test for anything else, and can’t offer support of any kind.
Support includes stuff like: “this doesn’t work in so and so version of so and so browser”, “Could you add this/tweak that/change those/remove them”, “I tried your modified version of this plugin and WordPress actually physically exploded and took out half the data center where my server is, killing 15 people and more importantly losing all my website data!”, etc.
I take NO RESPONSIBILITY for any problems, and neither impose nor imply any responsibility on the part of the original plugin author, Rich Manalang for this shoddy, hacked up version of his plugin. In other words, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! If something bad happens, I feel for you, but can’t do anything about it.
Now that that’s all out of the way =)
SLIGHTLY LONGER EXPLANATION:
This is just a very simply modified version of Version: 1.3.2 of Rich Manalang‘s WP-Amazon plugin.
This is the original version of the plugin I used and I was awed right from the beginning at how well it worked. It did exactly what it needed to, quickly, simply and well.
Mr. Manalang has released a newer version of the plugin, however it seems to have some problems with WordPress 2.1 and 2.2, and it has never worked with the non-visual WP editor (e.g. the only one I use =) and he has now decided to switch to a Greasemonkey script (which is a great idea I think, since it will make the plugin useable with any website, not just WP-powered ones), but hasn’t yet released it, and I needed a stopgap working plugin for the time being, without having to maintain a WP2.1 version install somewhere just to use the new version of the plugin with the visual editor on and copy and paste the code to whatever site I actually wanted the Amazon links on =P
From the original
README file by Mr. Manalang
* Copy the following files to the appropriate locations:
* Go to the WordPress plugins admin panel then activate the
* The post edit page should now have a button called “Amazon”
in the Quicktags region
Differences here are
- Remove any other version of WP-Amazon you have installed first.
- There is no quicktag button, but an “
Insert content from Amazon” link at the bottom of the post box.
For some weird reason I have not yet been able to figure out the link will not show up when first creating a new post. After you start the post you either have to hit theUPDATE: Fix for this provided by Neetij. Version updated below.
Save and Continue Editingbutton at the bottom, or else open a post from
Manage->Posts->Editfor the link to show up. Don’t know why, doesn’t bother me that much, so I left it alone rather than risk breaking something else. =)
NOTE (also known as Disclaimer part 2, the REVENGE!):
Some other caveats on using this hacky, hacky version of the plugin:
- I have only tested it on Firefox 188.8.131.52. As mentioned above, I don’t plan on testing it in or modifying it to work in other browsers/versions.
- I have tested it in WP 2.1 and 2.2 and only with the Non-WYSIWYG editor, and again I don’t plan on testing it in or modifying it to work in other versions.
- I have tested it on PHP 5, again I don’t plan on testing it in or modifying it to work in other versions.
- This is only intended as a stopgap measure until Mr. Manalang releases his new Greasemonkey script. I figured there might be people out there who would find it useful (since the lack of a working WP-Amazon is such a loss to the WP community) and so I released this version that I have been using. No updates, no support, no service. If it works, great! I’m glad to have been of some tiny service to you. If it doesn’t, I’m sorry, wish I could help, but I can’t.
- I have been using this without problem or incident on several WP installs for awhile. Nothing has exploded yet, but your mileage may vary! Use at your own risk!
- And did I mention the original plugin is by Rich Manalang?
Grab the zip file here (ver. ttb1.1).